Thursday, January 19, 2006

Blog Stuff: A seeming contradiction...

Folks who know me in meatspace (ie: outside of my charming 'net persona,) may wonder how come someone who gets so googly-eyed over cute babies can be such a committed misanthrope otherwise. It's simple, really...

When Quinn gets brought to visit Crazy Gun Store Lady, I find his gurgling, yelling of random nonsense, total self-absorption, and uncoordinated lunges for my ponytail to be cute. Because he's eleven months old.

When the same actions are coming from a forty-six year-old accountant at a local watering hole, on the other hand, I find myself having to suppress an atavistic urge to dot him right between the running lights...

I actually enjoy the company of adult human beings, on those very rare occasions when I meet any in this sea-to-shining-sea Romper Room.

6 comments:

Les Jones said...

My wife was surprised at how patient I can be with kids. I get frustrated with adults who do the same dumb things over and over or who do things when they should know better, but I understand that kids have to be taught things.

mauser*girl said...

You're a much better woman than me because I just can't deal with kids. It's not my thing.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of some dogs I know, not mean, but take no shit, 140lb+ canines.
Dogs that could crush your skull or bite through your ankle in about 30seconds. BIG dogs.

You see them with puppies, or human babies, suffering the worst indignities: being ridden, poked, screamed at, bitten... And when they get fed up, they carefully scrape the offendng child/puppy off, sigh and march off.

I wouldn't dare.

Elmo's aphasiatic twin said...

Tam, more than 60 percent of gifted people are introverted. As intelligence goes up, the introversion rates go up. Seventy-five percent of highly gifted people are introverts.

You're probably wondering where I'm coming up with this stuff. Check out the research of Linda Kreger Silverman, Ph.D.

It can be lonely. It takes a long time to find trusted, loyal friends and build intimate relationships. However, the relationships are usually very strong and long lasting. Best wishes and keep writing.

Dr. Delmo, Elmo's twin

Anonymous said...

See, there's the thing. Some people think of introversion as a disease rather than a blessing...

Elmo's aphasiatic twin said...

Introversion is great. The worst part of it is getting pressured to be the opposite.

I'd rather stay home in the clutter, read, play with computers and other digital gizmos, snort Hoppes No. 9, or crawl on the floor looking for an errant firing pin spring. It is flattering when some of my few, true friends take the time to come by or to ask me to visit them. I feel at home in their homes.