Monday, January 16, 2006

Blog Stuff: Yes, we're open...

About once a month, I start getting calls at work asking "Are y'all gonna be open tomorrow?" I usually answer with a baffled "Uh, yes," and remain confused until I notice that the bank is closed on my drive to work the next day.

Now, granted, I live in a town full of federal employees, university students & faculty and, apparently, bankers, so the need to explain this is kind of understandable: Folks, I work in a retail establishment. We sell you things. If you are off of work, and we are not open, we cannot sell you anything. This would be bad. For that reason, over the last year, we were closed Christmas Day, Thanksgiving, and, (only after much soul-searching) New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, and the Fourth of July.

We are open on President's Day (aka Washington's Birthday), Veteran's Day (aka Armistice Day), Labor Day, Columbus Day, MLK's Birthday, probably Memorial Day, Halloween, Groundhog Day, April Fool's Day, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day, Secretaries' Day, and National Car Care Month. Basically, all those times that banks are closed, we're open. I'd type more, but I have to get to work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tam,
The Fourth of July is two things, my birthday and Independance Day.
If anybody is celebrating,"the Fourth" I thank them for the birthday wishes.
However, I really wish they were celebrating Independance Day instead.
As vain and egocentric as I can be, some things are really more important than my birth.
Just a reminder,
Dennis La Fortune

Paul said...

The joys of small business retail.

I'll never go back.

In fact, if you ever see me on the side of the road in a surplus army jacket and a coffee cup full of change, I'll likely be holding a cardboard sign saying, "I'm cold. I'm hungry. I'd rather beg than work retail."

Anonymous said...

Ah the joys of holiday work. Feh. I spent 15 years working for Pepsi Cola. They're great people to work for and I sometimes regret leaving. One thing I don't miss is working virtually every holiday. Holidays are big business in the soda biz. Heck, I work IT, not sales or production, and I still had to work almost every holiday.

Now I work for your gub-mint. I consider all those holidays to be making up for all the times I ended up working on the 4th of July and such. (4th of July is MAJOR big business in the soda biz.)

But I'm glad gun shops are open on such days. Gives me a place to go hang out and buy new toys while my wife sleeps. (she's an RN and had to work ... ;)

Now I need to get to the range and play with my new S&W 638. But the range was closed ... and I can't even carry it to work with me because of the stupid signs on the doors. :(

Countertop said...

I'd suggest that you stay open - at least for part of the day - on Independence Day. Perhaps use it as an opportunity to run specials on Homeland Security Rifles and celebrate the 2nd Amendment and its relevance to the British Defeat and the Republics ongoing health.

Just a thought.