Friday, January 20, 2006

Books: Quote Of The Day.

Another night of raging insomnia had me re-reading Heinlein's The Number Of The Beast. I'd forgotten this little gem:
"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that "news" is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different - in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness."
Good stuff...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. His "they'll read anything I write now" faze^H^H phase. Well, at least he had fun with the anagrams.

Tam said...

I found his last several books to be a sort of "Farewell Tour". For rabid fans of a band, B-sides and jam sessions can make for an enjoyable concert, even if others in the audience are left wondering "Why aren't they playing any of their critically-acclaimed hits?"

I confess: I'm a rabid fan of RAH.

Anonymous said...

Well, it was a masterful book, I just didn't get it the first time around.

For those who don't know:

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/rah/numberbeast.html

jomama said...

Luv Heinlein.

Good choice of quotes...timely.