Friday, January 06, 2006

Boomsticks: A revolver chambered for what?

Les is musing on the idea of a revolver chambered for an autopistol caliber. While he seems to be settling on the .45ACP-caliber Model 625, he also pondered the possibilities of one chambered in .40 S&W or 10mm Auto.


Above is the S&W Model 646, one of a limited run of 900 .40-caliber revolvers done in 2003 to use up their remaining stock of no-lock frames. It's a 4" round-butt L-frame with a 6-shot titanium cylinder. The titanium is required to squeeze six .40-cal holes into an L-frame's cylinder: it's slightly more elastic than steel, and therefore less likely to fracture at the thin spots. I replaced the rubber Hogue Bantam grip that came on the gun with a Monogrip in Pau Ferro, and the gun handles and points like... well, like a round-butt 4" medium-frame Smith usually does: Superbly.

Obviously the only way to find one would be to scare one up used, but if Les goes with the .45 ACP 625, I don't think he'll be disappointed.


(That's a 625-4 next to the Kimber Custom Classic Stainless LE...)

7 comments:

AnarchAngel said...

I have a 625-4 with silverwood grips. Beautiful, great handling, and a man can never have too many .45s...

Of course I would have preferred one in 10mm or .45lc, but this one was Kim's originally so it has a history.

Anonymous said...

Assuming I can find one, what's the going rate for a S&W 610?

(my understanding is that the 610 is a 10mm on a N-frame, which will also take 40 S&W in a pinch 6.5,4, and 3" from the factory)

Les Jones said...

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 625 Jerry Miculek special, which is just a couple bucks more than the regular 625. The Thunder Ranch 22 I handled at CCA the other night is nifty, but I want a shooter rather than a looker.

My second choice might even be the 610 if it shoots .40 well. They're running about $700 over at Gunbroker, and I imagine they'll hold their value pretty well. I'm only interested in the 4 inch and under barrels.

Josh said...

I grow increasingly jealous of your fine collection of S&W's, Tam. Its...almost...not fair. ;)

Anonymous said...

I've heard that the 610 headspaces the 10mm on the cylinder, and not the moon clip. That means that there is a rim and a bit of freebore (correct term?) for the .40 S&W where lead 'n stuff can build up. Might only be a problem if you swap between 10mm and 40S&W w/o cleaning. I'll bet the freebore jump does not help accuracy, but anyplace that it really matters (deer hunting, match...) I would be handloading anyway. Neither of us want the 6.5" version too much anyway.

Never seen one up close tho..

Anonymous said...

The other question might be what is the velocity drop off on a 4" or a 3" barrel. If you are in the same muzzle velocity class as the 40S&W in a 3" or 4" why bother with the 610?

Anonymous said...

A couple of gun shows ago, I purchased a Tauaus Tracker in .45 ACP. Probably not the class of a S&W, but a fine shooter at $325.

AndyJ