Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Boomsticks: It followed me home...

I helped deplete the Armory's dwindling store of Finnish Mosins by taking a nice M28 home for Christmas. It doesn't have the Tikkakoski "T-in-a-triangle" atop the chamber, and although I haven't pulled it out of the stock yet to check, I suspect it has a SIG-Neuhausen barrel. It now sits next to the 1944-dated VKT M39 in my closet and swaps war stories, the two of them pointedly ignoring the Izhevsk M91/30 to their right.

It's in fair condition for a Finn, which would be Very Good to Excellent for most other countries. You'll sometimes see the "Nation Of Riflemen" phrase tossed around on gunblogs, but if you want to see it in the metal, look at surplus rifles from Finland, Switzerland, or Sweden; even those that are well used tend to have bores, sights, and barrel crowns in much better shape than, say, their Russian, Turkish, or Italian counterparts. The sharpest contrasts can be found in American and British rifles: An Enfield straight from British or Canadian service is almost always a gem compared to one that has been beaten on by the Pakistani army, while an M1903 that went to the DCM from the US military looks like a pampered match rifle compared to one abused and neglected in Greek exile.

I'm not much of a Mosin fan still, being a lover of All Things Mauser, but these Finns are beginning to get to me. There's a lot of interest in Finnish militaria in the US; we love underdogs and hate bolsheviks, so the heroic resistance of the little Finnish Army against the Soviet juggernaut can't help but fascinate us. As the home of both TGI and Brent Snodgrass, Knoxville is a good place to be interested in Finnish militaria, too. Maybe I ought to grab that last M28/30 at the shop...

5 comments:

Dr. StrangeGun said...

When I put everything in the gun closet last night, the T38 and the Swede Mauser got into a shoving match. Odd, I never thought those two were at war... :-D

Paha Kani said...

The Swedes have had their clashes with Russia. They fought bravely to the last Finn, it is said. After losing Finland to Russia in the early 1800's, they've stayed out of the warring business.

I am still kicking myself over not getting the M39 when I had the chance to do so cheaply.

Dr. StrangeGun said...

T38 Arisaka, that is.

Paha Kani said...

Oops, sorry. I kind of jumped the gun there.

Anonymous said...

I try to keep the Mosins seperate from the Mausers - I don't need rumbling coming from the storage area because of one not liking the other! The only one in with them is the Persian and it seems to be okay with the Mosins. I haven't heard too much come out of the drawer with the 2 RC/YC K98's mixed in with the M-1 Garand and the No.1 MK 3 Enfield - maybe the K-31 is keeping things in control there! :)

( Don't want to put the Polish WZ 98A in with the RC/YC 98's - it might have flashbacks...)

Joe R.