Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cutting into my posting time of late...

...has been the fact that I've been reading through the entire back archives of SurvivalBlog.com. I originally went because I've always had a nagging wonder as to why James Wesley, Rawles has a comma in his name. I got that answer in the FAQ to his book, but wound up faithfully slogging through all the back posts on his blog. Lots of good data there, even if you have no intention of heading to the hills and canning your own goat meat. The last couple of years have thrown enough brushfires, hurricanes, blizzards, and tsunamis our way to show that a little bit of insurance in your pantry or basement is a good thing; you don't need to own a Reynold's Wrap yarmulke to have a week or a month's worth of food on hand, or a generator, or enough candles and batteries to get you through a week without power. (Plus a shotgun to make sure all that stuff stays yours.)

Go, read. You'll learn plenty. He's a little short on information on the Zombie Apocalypse, however. You still have to go to Moral Flexibility.net for that...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, lots of good information. OTOH, I too am slogging my way through the archives.

Michael Z Williamson, aka Mad Mike, posted a recommendation on the board at Baen.

Anonymous said...

It does have a lot of info, much of it applicable. I am surprised at how many people have no concept of being able to take care of themselves if the water stops coming out of the faucet (I live in south Texas, not having anything to drink would be dangerous during the summer). I don't have the room to keep a months supply of food/water on hand, but we would be ok for a week or so...trying to increase that to 10-14 days. However..trying to survive "The end of the world as we know it" is kind of a different concept.