Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy Winter Solstice!

I'll be staying up past midnight tonight to make sure the reluctant sun does his job and starts staying in the sky longer every day.

It was a big time of year for our ancestors. Was the sun going to punk out and let days get shorter until it just stayed gone, or was the yearly cycle going to continue? It made for as good a reason as any for a religious ceremony, and a religious ceremony tends to make as good a reason as any for a festival. Later religions simply found it easier to park holidays (from Saturnalia to Christmas) around Midwinter than to change what was already there.

So there you go; I'll be sitting there at 12:22AM, Ruination in hand, keeping an eye on the celestial spheres. Once I'm sure that eveything's all shipshape in the heavens, then I'll go to bed. It's as good a reason to stay up late as any...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Solstice and a Good Yule back at ya, Tam, et al. We're thinking of going to the local celebration tonight.

Regards,
Rabbit.

3yellowdogs said...

Wow, thanks Tam. Good to know you'll be on the job tonight ensuring celestial integrity. I'll definitely sleep better.

Happy Soltice!

trainer said...

The Mrs. and her friends have been doing this for years.

I prefer the celebrations where they get nekked in the back yard, altho it was much more interesting 30 odd years ago.

I tend to fit in as the warm furry animal, but so far no sacrifices.

Anonymous said...

This is good news! Since you're 3 hours ahead of me, I can go to bed early, comforted by the knowledge that you've already done my work for me!

Happy solstice!

Jeffro said...

Don't forget tomorrow is Global Orgasm for Peace Day!

http://www.globalorgasm.org/

;>)

3yellowdogs said...

Hey, thanks Jeffro! I hadn't heard of Global Orgasm for Peace Day. I love their raison d'etre:

"...to effect (sic) positive change in the energy field of the Earth through input of the largest possible surge of human energy, a Synchronized Global Orgasm."

Count me in. I'm, er, up for anything. Not sure how they intend to synchronize all of these orgasms, though, when they state that the time is up to each individual. Oh well. Far be it from me to interfere with all that pleasure.

Do you think we could stage our own orgasmathon for global firearm ownership?

Anonymous said...

I just HAVE to ask, Tamara: what DO you plan on doing if the sun decides to sleep late for a few more days/weeks/months? Or (gods forbid), he gets a better offer someplace else?

Happy Solsitice, y'all!

Anonymous said...

Strings--

It wouldn't DARE!

Happy Solstice, y'all!

phlegmfatale said...

It is of tremendous comfort to know that the universe is being micromanaged by a fierce, capable woman, and thus I slept very well last night. Finally: someone in charge whom we can all respect. Cheers!

Tam said...

" I just HAVE to ask, Tamara: what DO you plan on doing if the sun decides to sleep late..."


Well, at 12:21 I muttered "Don't make me come up there!"

It seems to have worked. ;)