Monday, June 11, 2007

Boomsticks: Ever so stoked.

No sooner had I got the OlyArms .300 Whisper upper pinned on my Spike's Tactical lower than I discovered that Cor-Bon had eighty-sixed production of the caliber. How festive. I pestered every wholesaler I could think of; nobody had any back stock. I pestered Cor-Bon direct. No dice.

"Bummed" does not begin to describe my mood. Dies for .300 Whisper... er, .300/221 Fireball are not cheap either. I'll definitely need to score some dies soon, but I was temporarily saved by stumbling into a gun shop today that had not only dies and brass in stock, but hunnerds and hunnerds of rounds of loaded ammo. W00t! Score! (220gr soft points, too!)

7 comments:

Don said...

Geez . . . poetic injustice. Great that you salvaged it, but damn.

Anonymous said...

Wow. And to think I always used to feel like quite the rebel fooling with some of my muzzleloaders.

Your weapons locker must be a real E Ticket attraction, Tam.

Anonymous said...

If you had gone with 7.62x45 Czech, you would not be in this predicament.

You would be in a different predicament.

Gewehr98 said...

No, she would be set pretty well if she went with 7.62x45 Czech. I've been making the reloadable brass for it for several years, and she's got a couple boxes waiting here once she gives me the word...

NotClauswitz said...

Kewl!! I always get a warm tingly when I find 30-40 Krag.
And supposing you were fitting a bolt catch and it didn't - would you file the slight bump off the receiver, or work on the bolt-catcher?

Anonymous said...

Ya know ... if Alexander Arms can get away with widing the ejection port for a slightly over-length round, we might be able to do it as well.

Maybe use a VSLD mag with a tilted follower?

Anonymous said...

CH4d has a variety of .300-221 dies, including the improved versions. List is $72.45. Not bad really.