Friday, August 10, 2007

Blog Stuff: It's not the heat, it's the inanity...

The thermometer on the front side of the A/C unit bottomed out at 75 sometime around 8AM this morning and has gradually crept back to 79. (This is with the temp control being set at 69F.) My crib is a 48'x18' loft on the second floor of a far-from-airtight, barely insulated, converted log cabin, with a bedroom, bath, and crawlspace hung off one long side; in the Dog Days, the little window unit is doing all it can to keep the place habitable. VFTP Command Central, with its power supplies, electron guns, and heat sinks, is some 20' from the A/C vents. You can look up from my desk and think cool thoughts, at least...

I re-wrote the MAS 49/56 piece, wiping sweat out of my eyes every few minutes. On re-reading, I realized it made no sense, so I gave it up for a bad idea and tried to play some Master Of Orion II on the old Performa. I wound up punking out on that as well.

Screw it. If I'm going to be hot, I'm going to be hot. I'm swapping out my tee shirt for an UnderArmour top and going outside to read more of Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe your AC needs a recharge?

Just a thought.

Carteach said...

That AC unit is toast, unless
it's something special and wort fixing.

If the outlet temp isn't below 60 degrees it will never cool even a small room.

I make car AC's spit out under 35 degrees before I'm happy with them.

The one in the window of the room I'm in now... sunny side of the house too.... is putting out about 46 degrees to keep the room at 72.

You need a new AC unit.

Tam said...

Nononono...

That's not the outlet temp, that's the "indoor" temp, as measured by the AC's thermostat. I'd reckon the outlet's a good, chill 45-50.

It's just that my living space is for all practical purposes uninsulated, under a barn-type roof (surrounded on three sides by black shingles) and it's 99 degrees outside. There's only so much that little window unit can do.

If the space was half the size (or if it were 89 rather than 99 outside), it'd run you out of the room.

Carteach said...

Oh. You live in an oven.
I understand now.

Got a Barnes and Noble in that part of the state? For the price of a cup of joe you can sit in the AC, read books for free, and watch the funny assed people wandering around.

One of my favorite sports.

Remind me to tell you the adventures of 'beemer boy' some day....

BobG said...

If Barnes and Noble had a smoking room, Tamara would probably be there now.

Tam said...

If Barnes & Noble had a smoking room, beer, and more outlets into which to plug the iBook, Tamara would never leave...

Anonymous said...

Have you checked the rating of that window unit? The smallest ones are rated for about 5000cuft. You would definitely need a bigger one. I would estimate you need one rated for 10k cuft, minimum. Might consider just putting a second unit at the other end, to get more even temp control.

Russ said...

Go Miles Go.