Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The joys of gardening...

Last night's torrential downpour beat the radishes, chives, carrots, and dill flat. I spent a fair amount of time gently freeing tender sprouts from the mud. The verdammt tree rat keeps sitting in the pot of nemophila out front, and one of his cousins dug up and devoured a nice tender corn seedling. The delphinium is blooming with loverly dark purple flowers, but had to be staked after the weekend's typhoons.

Maple seedlings, on the other hand, are springing up like frigging kudzu.

Maybe I should scrap the herb/vegetable idea and go for a maple syrup plantation instead...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

After a great deal of profanity at the slow pace of growth and a call for inspection by someone what knows what she's doing, it seems our grass is actually doing pretty well. This of course means we're going to have a hailstorm that would make any self-respecting insurance adjuster soil the bejesus out of him or herself any second now.

Tell you what. You come "motivate" our grass to grow, I'll go out to your neck of the woods and wage war on the maple saplings.

Rabbit said...

The resolution for urban treerats:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/izh-46M-air-pistol-combo.shtml

Ask Xavier. That's his mousegun. One is on my shortlist as well.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Tam said...

My old downstairs neighbor had one. We used it to shoot cicadas out of trees. It was voodoo accurate.

Anonymous said...

introduce the alpha feline to the tree rats , last years kill for 1 cat was 27,she had a trophy shelf in my garage, I discovered while cleaning this spring.

Less said...

Rabbit beat me to it...

I just use a Beeman R10 air rifle to shoot rabbits munching on greens, etc.

In the plague-free midwest, tree rats and rabbit are tasty supplements to my diet.

Rabbit said...

I'm still using a 25 year old RWS Model 45. Still whacks things hard, even for a .177. Some things just get meaner with age.

Now if only I could remember what box the scope and mount are in I could get those cotton rats that are on top of the fence in the evenings.

Regards,
Rabbit.