Sunday, November 02, 2008

Ouch!

When chambering a round after a fast magazine change, and the slide of your pistol has Slip 2000 all over it, and an 18# recoil spring, and you use the "grasp the slide over the top with four fingers and slingshot it" technique, and your weak hand slips... well... if you don't get that third digit out of the way of the rear Trijicons which are being propelled forwards by that beefy spring, you're going to lose your fingernail right down to the quick. Ow! I shoulda cut them all off before going shooting; I know better.

Other than that, it was a pretty good day at the range. I put about thirty more rounds through my .38/44 Heavy Duty. Mr. Middleton's bullseye gun needs a good scrubbing; perhaps even of the "sideplate off" variety. I was lights out with the 1911s. (Well, for me at least.) Even one-hand weak hand stuff wasn't straying outside what would have been the A-zone were it an IPSC target. Why can't I shoot like this when there are bowling pins in front of me, by the way?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Search your state of mind when you're "just at the range" and use the same state when the bowling pins are in front of you.

Earl said...

Secret fear of bowling pins? Or they set duck pins up for you and don't tell you?

Anonymous said...

Shooting is a mind game. That's why.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like shooting a heavy duty to bring out your best skills. To me the old HD's are just about perfect.

Anonymous said...

It ain't the pins ... it's the damned audience ... a bunch of your peers, laughing.

Drang said...

Why can't I shoot like this when there are bowling pins in front of me, by the way?
So long as you can shoot minute-of-goblin, don't sweat it.

Anonymous said...

I've found that the best days at the range always require a blood sacrifice to propitiate the range-elves.

Anonymous said...

You know, as silly as it looks, I almost always end up going Michael Jackson style when I'm shooting anymore - a glove on my weak hand to protect it from the Faux-Mar sights my guns wear.

Zdogk9 said...

Them bowling pins is sneaky quick boogers, they are jumping out of the way after you shoot and back into place before you recover from recoil.

Anonymous said...

Faux-Mar? I love it!

This might be a good time, Tam, to re-evaluate your chosen method of releasing the slide. Just saying...

Anonymous said...

Its a fact of life, when the timer goes off your brains run down your leg.