Thursday, December 04, 2008

Arms proliferation.

Denise at The Ten Ring has herself a stylin' new Russkie SKS.

For those more used to Chinese examples, with their stocks made from recycled orange crates, or the somewhat rough-hewn Yugoslavian models, the fit and finish on an early postwar Russian SKS can come as a bit of a surprise. Heck, it can come as a bit of a surprise to those who associate "Russian rifle" and "1943 Mosin Nagant". As it turns out, the Soviets were able to actually turn out a decently-finished rifle when they weren't distracted by Jerry tanks crashing through the factory walls. I guess that could kind of put a damper on the ol' Q.C. effort...

5 comments:

Matt G said...

Ah, but it's too nice to put behind the seat of your pickup truck, especially when the split rear window leaks like mine did.

Anonymous said...

I just got my first 1943 Mosin Nagant. I loved two things about it. First, that you can get a decent rifle for under $100. Second...when you look at the gun, and see the rough machining, you can FEEL what it must have been like to have Jerry tanks crashing through the factory walls.

I'm going to drink vodka this weekend and watch "Enemy at the Gates"

Anonymous said...

Mine's a Tula, from 1951, and I've always thought it very neat.

Anonymous said...

Still dropping my excess cash (is there such a thing?) on the excellent deal CMP is offering on surplus 30-06.

Plus, it has the advantage of being mail-order, which works well with my current situation.

Vaarok said...

I lucked into two awhile ago, they are indeed nice. And with S&B 7.62x39, surprisingly accurate.