Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Quick!

Call Al Gore! My climate is changing!

Did you note where weatherdude says it hasn't been like this in 35 years in Chicago? I remember that. I was toddling off to kindergarten, bundled up like the little kid from A Christmas Story. I didn't have a cameraman at which to whine, however...

Meanwhile, strolling home from Fresh Market today, I was happy for gear purchases I'd made in years past. The Adidas Adventure Boots, North Face mountaineering gloves, and Lowe Alpine leggings that seemed like extravagances back in Tennessee just turned out to be pragmatic here. And the shemagh that John brought me from Afghanistan kept the frostbite off my ears. Good gear makes the difference!

7 comments:

Less said...

I just took some of my dogs for a walk...

Halfway down the block my big male, Bingo, looked at me and if he could talk, I'm sure he would've said, "Dude... It's super cold... Why don't we go back inside and get ripped, bro?"

So, there you have it... The dog made me drink that last sweet sixer of La Gunitas IPA...

I rewarded his good idea with a hambone and he's fast asleep...

Smart one, that Bingo...

Rob K said...

You sound like the little kid in the ad with Bob Gregory and the little kid, which you've probably never seen. Ask Roberta about it.

J.R.Shirley said...

Glad you're able to use it. I used one of mine for my two coldest days in the woods, 'round New Year's. Missed you.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Good gear makes all the difference when it's a dry cold; I can be perfectly fine when it's thirty below out.

I fear the wet humid cold - I still can't get layers that keep the chill out of old injuries and stiffening joints. How you manage that in the humid climes down amazes me!

Anonymous said...

The Norwegians say "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing".

Anonymous said...

Long around 1979, I became the proud owner of a surplus N3B snorkel parka, complete with real coyote fur trim around the hood and wool insulation, including wool-lined handwarmer pockets. That parka has been my go-to cold weather coat ever since.
Nowdays, I only pull it out when the temp goes below 20. Tomorrow AM, it will be +6 in my little corner of the world.
It's time.

I'm also glad we replaced the 53-year old furnace.

Stay safe, stay warm.

Crustyrusty said...

Yup, I was in Chicago that lovely winter, delivering the Southtown Economist and having my glasses freeze to the only exposed part of my face...