Wednesday, September 08, 2010

What a beautimous day!

I just finished a couple miles' round trip on the bicycle to the grocery store. That makes probably fifteen miles for the week so far; if I keep this up, I might accidentally get healthy.

It was another gorgeous day for riding, made even better by the fact that they've slathered fresh stimulus on the road down by the Kroger. It had sat all prepped and scarified for a week or so, making for teeth-juddering pedaling.

That rear basket was the smartest bicycle dollar I've spent other than upgrading from the Wally World Special to the Trek. Because of its rear "suspension" (and I use the term loosely,) the Wally World bike just had that Nashbar cantilever thingummy to which you would bungee your groceries and pedal gingerly homeward while hoping they didn't squirt out from under the elastic cords.

If the weather was like this all the time, my car would rust between uses. (I once had a car that rusted between uses, but you expect that with a '79 280ZX.)

8 comments:

Jay G said...

'79 280ZX? Heh.

They rust even faster up here. Salt on the roads in the winter time will do that. Of course, being made out of compressed rust to begin doesn't help...

Anonymous said...

"...a '79 280ZX"

That was my first brand-new un-American car (first car in '70 at age 16 was the obligatory '61 Bug); $13,900 IIRC, a hunk of dough at the time. I took a lot of flak from my 'vette-loving mid-20's peers, but it was relatively quick and nimble and felt like a Porsche compared to those bricks-on-wheels 3rd-gen Corvettes, and it was like something from the future compared to the new ($4700) '74 Gran Torino and ($5900) '76 Monte Carlo that preceded it.

Can't speak to the rust factor though; traded it to my brother for an older Buick LeSabre in under two years when a back seat and more doors became a family necessity. And that would be the end of my new-car buying days until '87...them young'uns are 'spensive!

AT

bluesun said...

Gotta watch out for all that stimulus--it's been slowing down traffic somethin' fierce this summer.

Davidwhitewolf said...

Move to California! Last rain here was in April I think.

Tam said...

"Move to California!"

Bite your tongue! Do I say things like that to you?

;)

Joanna said...

That sound you hear is me cradling my bandaged foot and rocking back and forth, looking out the window at the bike lane and crying softly. :-(

Anonymous said...

Please don't shop at Kroger. They contribute to anti-gun causes and have been a corporate cheerleader for Obamacare.

Tam said...

If I joined every boycott of an antigun company that someone asked me to, I'd starve in the dark.