Saturday, July 09, 2011

Summertime in SoBro, Part VII...

This morning I needed some props for the gladiolas in the bed around the tree in the front yard, as they've started to bend double under the weight of their blooming flowers, so I saddled up the Broad Ripple SUV and headed out, while Roomie headed off for the Indy Hamfest.

My first stop was Good Morning Mama's for breakfast. I ordered the "Papa's" (delicious homemade corned beef hash and eggs) and a side of applewood-smoked bacon. After a leisurely breakfast spent enjoying yummy food and The Great War and Modern Memory, I hopped back on the bike and rode on down the way...

I arrived at the neighborhood garden shop shortly after 0900, but it still hadn't opened, so I turned the bike towards home (enjoying the use of the Monon Trail, since SB292 went into effect last week), but stopping at Locally Grown Gardens for a delicious Fentiman's Ginger Beer.


I wound up getting my garden stakes at $big_box_home_improvement_store, which made me sad. Maybe Habig Garden Center will put their hours on the internets soon...

9 comments:

TBeck said...

You need some tiger lilies so the gladiolas will have something to fight.

Tam said...

Actually, Roseholme Cottage has a spectacular crop of day lilies all down the south side of the house and into the back yard...

Old NFO said...

Looks like a nice ride was had if nothing else got accomplished :-)

Tam said...

Seek help.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Paul Fussell, v. good. Read his autobiography?

Drang said...

Ah, I see the same troll visited you...

Does Fussel still live around there? ISTR that, in an interview, he said that that fast car thing you have locally is as a religious festival to him, and that he always tears up whenever they play the Hoosier State Anthem there...

greg said...

Ah...so 9/11 is the reason why you had to visit a big-box store to find garden stakes...

Looks like a very nice morning. One of the things I am still searching hard for since moving 9 months ago is an acceptable breakfast place...there was a really, really good one in Bremerton, and in 9 months I haven't found anything that is closer than 80%.

Anonymous said...

Loving the So Bro series.

Turk Turon said...

I'm also loving the SoBro Series. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Incidentally, day lilies are easy to transplant and will grow aggressively to fill their space. Excellent ground cover.