Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Again!

On last year's little jaunt out to Oregon, among the trinkets with which Leatherman stuffed our pockets was a Led Lenser P3 AFS flashlight. I started carrying mine immediately because I loved the little AAA size combined with the no-kidding 75 lumen output. I especially liked that, thanks to the sliding focus head, those lumens could be diffused to a wide, soft spread or tightened down to an amazingly bright and projecting beam.

After carrying it for month or so, I lost it and promptly ordered another one from Amazon.

This one lasted a bit over a year, but now some Delta Airlines ramp rat at MSP has my second P3 AFS, since it fell out of my pocket unnoticed* while trying to fish my wallet out in the confines of an MD88 chair. Carrying the ProTac 2AA 'til my third** P3 get here on the Big Brown Truck of Happiness.

This ProTac feels like I'm trying to smuggle a tee-ball bat after all that time carrying a little AAA-size light.


*Well, I noticed a clatter, but it couldn't have been from me, right? Because I always move my flashlight to a shirt pocket or the collar of my t-shirt for ease of access while flying! You don't want to be fumbling for a light when you're trying to unass Flight 1549, right?

**And fourth. Because this time I'm ordering two. Because two is one and one is none, right?

18 comments:

staghounds said...

Rather surprised that TSA hasn't seized this good swag, um, deadly weapon.

I still carry my little cheap promo lights, I ordered them with my email on them so if I lose my keys they might come back. I use them as zipper pulls on my luggage, too.

http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/tradeshow-promotions/turbo-flashlight-key-chain.htm

Scott J said...

75 lumens from a AAA size?

I must check that out at a smaller alternative to the Tomahawk.

At $30-ish it would make a good gift for the kids to buy for me (with my money :) ) for Christmas.

Is it a twist on/off deal or does it have a button switch?

Tam said...

Scott J,

Push-button tailcap that works well enough as a momentary that I hardly bother with the clicky.

Mike_C said...

Now that you will have two Lenser P3 flashlights the law of perversity guarantees that you will lose neither.

I wonder if Amazon or the vendor is responsible for proofreading. The P3 listing claims it uses a single AAAA (sic)cell while the Protac apparently includes two "AA" Alkaline Batteries. So are those "AA" cells kind of like real AA's? (Why the quotation marks?) Sheesh.

I am not, repeat, NOT anal retentive.

Tam said...

Mike_C,

"Now that you will have two Lenser P3 flashlights the law of perversity guarantees that you will lose neither."

I consider it to be 'sympathetic magic'. ;)

Davidwhitewolf said...

*75* lumens? Blinked a couple times at that number, looked askance at the Streamlight Microstream in my shirt pocket, and hopped on Amazon. Thanks!

mikee said...

I learned something about flashlights with the purchase of my first 2D cell Maglite decades ago.

Tactical operator BLACK is not the right color for a flashlight. Black flashlights are hard to find in the dark and get lost easily.

I've had my bright yellow Surefire G2 for so long that it is now sort of a grungy yellow-gray.

And my pocket LED penlight is metallic silver - harder to leave on a dark upholstered seat.

Only problem is I can't justify replacing them with niftier lumenosity wands since they still work and aren't lost.

Critter said...

just bought the last two at Amazon. :)

Jason said...

And now there is only one left on Amazon! Tam caused a run on those little gems!

BryanP said...

Nice. I consider my little Fenix E05 (not much bigger than the AAA in it, 27 lumens) to be completely adequate for a pocket flashlight, but I may have to grab a Lenser sometime.

Will said...

It appears #880094 is the same light. Not 100% sure, though.

Mike_C said...

sympathetic magic
Sounds SO much better than "law of perversity" doesn't it!

BTW, the irony of my prior comment (complaining about poor proof-reading) being full of typographical errors is not lost on me. Sigh.

Hawken Cougar said...

Same product? With sheath and lanyard. At a lower price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Lenser-P3-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Leatherman-Factory-Sealed-NEW-/300998335382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4614e61b96

Tam said...

"Same product?"

Nope. That's a regular P3, which only has a 14 lumen output.

Hawken Cougar said...

I see said the blind man.

Same look but different model:

http://www.ledlenser.com/family/Flashlights/Keychain-Size

Will said...

One of the problems there is the dimensions/weights mostly seem to consist of the box it ships in.

Unknown said...

if you lose it again, you might check out this one:
http://www.countycomm.com/aaa.html

I've been pretty pleased with the previous version, and just got the 3rd gen model this week.

Anonymous said...

Those times are for an alkaline battery. How does a lithium AAA do?

Antibubba