Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fun Show find...

Saw a new (to me, at least) kydex holster maker set up at the Indy 1500 this past weekend: ZB Kydex. With very few exceptions, these guys' fun show setups tend to be as indistinguishable as peas in a pod, but these guys had a nicely laid-out table and one of the cleverest marketing gimmicks I've seen in a while. They had two holsters out front: a black one that is presumably a representative example of their product lineup and, right next to it, a blaze orange one with "Why choose us?" written on it in Sharpie.

The orange holster, of course, represented the "generic" kydex holster, and one of the dudes would carefully point out the shortcomings of the orange "Brand X" vis a vis their exemplar next to it. It was a smart, polite, and informative demonstration. I picked up a business card and may buy something to try out if they're at the next show because yay entrepreneurship!


5 comments:

Grumpy Sergeant said...

The linky for what I imagine is a a photo of the two holsters takes me to the Instagram homepage which asks me to log in or create an account? Was that your intention, or is your link broken?

Tam said...

Grumpy Sergeant,

"Was that your intention, or is your link broken?"

My intention was to link to the picture on their Instagram site. I don't know if you need a FB account to see Instagram pages or not these days.

Grumpy Sergeant said...

Ah,my bad and my appologies. the luddite in me is finally starting to make inroads into this whole social media thing and as a result my knuckles are dragging.

Tam said...

Heck, it's my job and I can hardly keep up with the stuff. I need to hire a ten-year-old as a subcontractor. ;)

Anonymous said...

A contract with a 10-year-old is not legally binding.

You'll need to bribe them with video games or something.