Sunday, November 03, 2013

The light bringer...

Pistol-mounted lights require specialized pistol holsters. One of the reasons I like the Lightguard is that, in addition to the grip-activated membrane switch that doesn't require any addition motions to activate, it adds hardly any bulk to the gun and therefore hardly any bulk to the holster.

The TLR-1s is obviously much brighter, but requires a separate motion to activate and is also larger, necessitating a fairly sizable holster. Some people carry those things IWB, but for me, it pretty much relegates the gun to OWB carry or nightstand duty.

Another issue is that the big lights require the holster to be fairly generously cut to get the thing in and out of there, like the RCS Phantom in the picture below:

Unlike the poster here, I can't actually get a finger in there in front of the trigger to pull it, but depending on the gun/holster/light combo, it seems like a possibility of which it would pay to be aware.

9 comments:

Steve Skubinna said...

I like my Lasermax on the Glock 21. Since it's internal no need for a different holster.

Tam said...

Steve Skubinna,

"I like my Lasermax on the Glock 21."

Yes, but a Lasermax is not flashlight. ;)

Tim D said...

With the improvements in LEDS I wonder when someone will bring out a FLGR with a light in it. (even though I'm not a fan of the FLGR)

rremington said...

Tam

I carry a G19 with a Surefire X300 in a holster very similar to the Raven pictured. (Kydex is Kydex.)

Mine appears to come up the underside of the trigger guard a little further making it VERY hard to even touch the back of the trigger, let alone the front of it.

Steve Skubinna said...

Yes, but a Lasermax is not flashlight. ;)

Right. I should have continued to note that for a tactical light I like the Harrys technique so the light can be pointed without a muzzle accompanying it.

My sloppiness, sorry.

BryanP said...

Very nice. Hopefully CT will release the Lightguard for more models. One for my SR9c would be quite welcome.

Tam said...

Steve Skubinna,

I carry a handheld light as well for that reason. WML is a pretty specialized tool.

Will said...

With a plastic/composite frame, it should be relatively easy to build-in LED lights. Would work best with an integral reflector or lens LED design. Someone is missing the boat by not marketing this option. Inset in the front of the trigger guard, or a thick dust cover should be workable.

markm said...

A few weeks ago a cop assigned to school duty had a ND in an elementary school classroom. One of the little kids worked his finger into the bulge that was added to the holster to clear the light, and reached the trigger.