Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Call or fold.

I've mentioned "Bridge Kids" before, which are Broad Ripple's juvenile form of Hobo americanus. Often found with accessories like acoustic guitars or bandanna-wearing mutts and dressed in a ratty melange of every counterculture fashion from the Sixties to the early Aughties*, they're just part of the scene around the canal and the Strip.

The other day, I was pedaling across the canal on the Monon Trail bridge when this disembodied voice to my left says "I'll take two cards." From where I was, on the right-hand side of the bridge, I couldn't see where it came from. Turning my bike down the Canal Towpath on the far side of the bridge, I turned around and spotted the card game...



*Hand to God, I have seen, simultaneously and on the same person, a safety-pin bedecked black leather jacket, tie dyed shirt, and flat-brimmed hip hop ball cap at the correct angle of skew. "What are you rebelling against?"
"What have you got?"