Saturday, May 09, 2015

Nanny State County

So the polls were open last Tuesday and although the county had predicted a low turnout (I heard they were expecting 13%) only nine percent of eligible voters trudged to the polls to do their citizenly duty.

Much finger-wagging and chiding occurred in the various media outlets over the low turnout, despite very little noise being made in the run-up to election day, I guess because none of the candidates wasted any money on campaign ads.

Myself, I'm not having any truck with their guilt trip. This was a municipal primary election: That is, where the members of the Republican and Democrat parties go and pick their candidates for the ballot in November's general election. I am not a member of either party, and so I have no business weighing in on either party's candidate selection process. Further (and I checked) there were no ballot questions such as "Do you want to get milked for more dough to support some useless project?" to which I could say "No."

Ergo, there was no reason for me to go to the polls on Tuesday, so I didn't. I'll go in November, when they're actually asking me questions.
.
.