Saturday, March 25, 2017

I'm tired.

Or rather my car is.

Friday I stopped at the local tire mart and left the Zed Drei there while I walked with my range bag across the street to Indy Arms Company for some pew-pew-pew with the M&P M2.0 review gun.

200 rounds through the M&P and a short wait back at the tire place later, I had a new set of skins on the Zed Drei...for about the price of a good deal on an HK P30. Yikes.

Both rears were pretty well worn on the inboard sides, and a smarter person likely would have replaced them before a 1,200-mile round trip, but I never claimed to be all that bright. Further, the driver's side front had a very slow leak in the "no repair" zone.

Due to the fact that rears wear so much faster on the Zed Drei*, and the fact that I'm a starving artist, I usually only replaced the tires on one end of the car at a time, and that when strictly necessary**. Fortunately, I'd just gotten paid, so now the Z3 has the same brand of front and rear tires for...wow, for the first time since probably 2004. No wonder this feels kind of like a big deal to me.

*And since front and rear are different sizes and wear directional tires, there's no rotating the tires, either.
**With the Z3 2.8's wheel sizes, your choices are a few varieties of cheap-ass tires that wear like RugRite carpet and are as sticky as oiled cue balls, or Ultra Super Sport tires. Like the joke backronym goes, "Bring Money With".