Thursday, August 03, 2023

Overlensed...

So I'm standing there at the State Fair yesterday, trying to get some long shots of the steam engine and the thresher, getting everything compressed with a long lens.

I couldn't get the composition I was looking for, when I became aware of the two little kids next to me, who were also watching the goings-on. They were both in their Pioneer Village garb, looking straight out of Little House on the Prairie, when all of a sudden the younger one hops on her friend's back for a piggyback ride.

And there I was, inside of ten feet, but with a bazooka of a 70-200mm telephoto zoom on the camera. Hardly the lens for a head-to-toe portrait shot at that range, but when a photo op like that comes along and drops in your lap, you snap first and worry later. (I had a second body with a 28-70mm hanging off my other shoulder, but by the time I could switch cameras the moment might have passed. In fact, I did switch cameras after snapping this one, but the pic was over...)


This is some peak State Fair stuff right here.

.