Thursday, August 23, 2018

#FightTheDerp

So...

Today I went out into the pistol bay at Indy Arms Company, and the first thing I saw as I set foot on the range was that the guy shooting in the lane to my left had this weird stance, with his strong-side foot dropped way back, combined with an aggressive tactical turtle crouch. And he was shooting a CZ P10.

Oh, boy,” I thought, “This is gonna be an exotic form of f$ckery...

And then I heard a timer beep, and he started shooting. A failure drill on his five yard target.

And it wasn’t bad.

A timer, on a public range.

And then he recovered after the string and, as he looked down to check his time, his trigger finger went into a hard register in the P10’s ejection port.

Madness! This guy’s stance is goofy, but he’s hitting stuff and actively working to get better. And he had a timer.

A timer, on a public range.

And then the guy on lane three asks his buddy on lane two “What’s a Bill Drill again? Is it five or six shots? And fifteen or twenty-one feet?”

“Hang on,” says his buddy, “Let me look that up,” and consults his cell phone with one hand and hands his friend a target printed out from Todd’s blog with the other.

And I’m like “THIS IS MADNESS. WHAT ALTERNATE UNIVERSE HAVE I WANDERED INTO?

There were three fellow range patrons and I was the only person out there not using a timer today. And nobody was engaging in crappy gun-handling, and everybody was reliably hitting their targets, even when they were shooting at speeds that normally have me asking my fellow range patrons to please stop shooting the ceiling.

I have never before seen the like in my entire shooting career, outside of a match or a class.
.