Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Like Flipping a Switch

Yesterday was the autumnal equinox, making today the official first full day of fall.

Coincidentally, this week also featured a cold front that had been stalled north of us for some time finally sinking south through Indianapolis.

We were having daily highs in the low nineties for most of last week and Saturday and Sunday saw 87℉ and 85℉, respectively, and then... bam! Monday's high was only 65 and today we'll only see 63.

They had the garage doors open at Fat Dan's on Monday and I was actually a little chilly for the first time in months.

We've probably got one good week of Indian Summer ahead of us somewhere so I'm not yet ready to rotate the short-sleeve tees and cotton socks for the long-sleeve shirts and wool socks, but I did pull one of the heavier weight gun burkhas I use from October through March out a little early.

They're saying that the "super el Nino" means a milder-than-normal winter, and I wouldn't mind that at all.

.