Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Timeless quality...

Judging by the slide markings, my FN 1910 dates to the mid-to-late 1920s. Nowhere near as old as my old .32 Colts, but a respectable octogenarian nonetheless. As best I can tell, it's all original.

I took it out on the range today at Coal Creek Armory and ran some ammo through it, and it banged away happily without a hiccup, eighty-year-old springs and all. Despite the vestigial sights and the heavy trigger, it shot right to point of aim and would do so as fast as you could pull the trigger; of course, a pound and a half of steel doesn't move around much from the recoil of a little .32ACP cartridge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tam,
I have long maintained that what you shoot out of matters quite a good bit when deciding what to shoot out of it. What feels good out a full sized metal barker might be a tad "flippy" out of a plastic one, and a downright hand full out of a compact polymer one.

p.s wv-->holes ftw

Tango Juliet said...

You know, there are times when I think that Browning guy was a genius.

Anonymous said...

Tam -- I also have an old pistol that I shoot - in my case, a German Mauser model 1910/1914, 7.65 mm (.32 ACP). As with yours, I believe it to have been made sometime in the middle 1920's, and, like your pistol, it's all steel.

Fun shootin' ain't it? <g>

JimB said...

Ive got a war trophy mauser HSc/.32. Runs great on Win Silvertips. I really miss the guy who brought it home. RIP Dad.