Thursday, April 28, 2022

Sacred Space

Friend John Murphy was through Indy yesterday, so we decided to hit the state's Military Museum in the basement of the World War Memorial, which was closed last year when he visited.

The solemnity of the shrine room atop the Memorial here in Indianapolis is almost impossible to convey via photographs. You really have to see it.

It doesn't stop me from trying, though...

Yesterday I had the Olympus E-600 with me, and a little camera bag slung over my shoulder with a secret weapon in it: A Zuiko 7-14mm f/4.

It was mostly a proof-of-concept trip to check what the field of view would look like. I swapped out lenses on the camera before heading up to the shrine, and this is what I got...


To get it right is going to require a tripod and long exposure at a low ISO, and the nature of the space won't allow a long and complicated setup. Mount the camera on the lightweight Manfrotto downstairs, go up, set up, click, and scoop up the tripod and bail.

That's still more drama than I want to inflict on a non-photographer friend who's just there to see the museum and hang out, so it'll have to wait for a solo visit.

.