Saturday, October 12, 2024

Unhorsed

Everyone's familiar with the phenomenon of "de-branding", where they remove or obscure product logos to avoid handing out free advertising for another company, like covering up or editing out the Apple logos on laptops seen on TV, right? Well I just stumbled across the most extreme example I've ever seen.

So there’s a prescription drug commercial currently on TV where this lady is driving around in an orange 64-65 Mustang convertible. It’s impossible to guess the year because they’ve used CGI to turn it into a rolling bar of soap.

No badges, all the styling lines on the side gone, nothing. The pony in the grille and the gas cap between the taillights are wiped away.

The first time I saw the commercial out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was a Jensen-Healey.

Check it out...