Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fun Show Time!

Let's sing the Fun Show song!
Flintlocks and Flop-tops
And Number Three Russians
Black-powder Mausers
From jackbooted Prussians,
Shiny Smith PC's from limited runs
These are a few of my favorite guns.

Socketed bay'nets
On Zulu War rifles,
Engraved, iv'ried Lugers
That make quite an eyefull
Mosin tomato stakes sold by the ton
These are a few of my favorite guns.

Rusty top-breaks!
Smallbore Schuetzens!
And all of Browning's spawn
I just keep on browsing my favorite guns
Until all my money's gone.
Today's mission: 9mm 1911 magazines, because I only have four, and more AR-15 mags, because I only have twenty or so. Also, ammunition. Maybe an Encore carbine barrel in a mid-bore caliber, like 6.8 or .243. I'm selling a pistol so I'll have funds for ammo and magazines; maybe I'll have enough left over for the barrel.

I need some .45 and some 9mm to dump in the bulk range cans. It's too bad Georgia Arms doesn't make it up this far, because I've got a hankering for their 200gr SWC .45 ACP ammo. Plus, they sold .44-40 and .32-20 in 50rd bags for reasonable prices, and I've been wanting to take my Model 544 to the range so bad that it hurts, but I'm down to 20 or 30 rounds of loaded ammo, and that's just not worth lugging the gun along. (Plus, I don't want to shoot up everything I have in the caliber. What if zombies come and I'm down to just my Texas Wagon Train Commemorative S&W revolver? I've got to have ammunition for it!)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope to see you there!

Carteach said...

Great... I sang teh song... and now it's stuck in my head, with no gun show around here to expel it upon.

Hey! Let me know if you see a JC Higgins model 80 .22 pistol, and if so, how much it goes for. It's a sears name for a High Standard model 101. I'm trying to research such a beast and I'm finding little.

Ya'll have fun!

Bob said...

Everyone's doing parodies this morning. Over at Ann Althouse's is a parody of Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll.

Anonymous said...

Please drop by the Sipsey Street Irregular table near the exit. Look for the Sipsey street sign.

Mike Vanderboegh
III

Anonymous said...

I had planned to be there today as well just to check out the crowds. Family emergency has kept me in Florida. Have a great time and I will see you at the next one.

the pawnbroker said...

first "bigshow" since the chosen one got chosen...let us know your take on supply and pricing of the affected hardware & software.

nice song...i'd love to see the vid.

jtc

Anonymous said...

Yea,Verily. Man does not live by bread alone! You have to have ammo too!

Anonymous said...

My first stock up items to price at the gun show would be primers and Unique powder. A few 8 pound caddies would last until the next Republican Senate majority. The ultimate for full bore cast bullet loads in any reasonable sized defense pistol, and for nice quiet cast loads in full sized rifles too.
A single bleach bottle sized caddy equals about 10,000 rounds of .45 ACP, under the Lyman 225 grain cast hard, to duplicate 45 hardball ballistics. The same amount of Unique is about 4,000 rounds of 30-06, better than 5,000 rounds of 6.5 Swede.
And the rifle loads are quiet, kind of .22 magnum noises, so not as many questions are asked or gossiped about when plinking in the back fourty.
Primers are cheap, they store for decades at cellar temperatures, and take up almost no room.
I can shoot my Springfield all day, with zip recoil, at seven to eight cents a shot, and all I'm doing to the rifle is polishing the bore smoother, making the rifle more accurate.
And me. Without practice, we would all be safer and more efficient armed with golf clubs.

Turk Turon said...

Great song, Tam!

Anonymous said...

Cute.

Anonymous said...

Carteach0, They had a JC Higgins 2" barrel .22. They were asking $225.

Old NFO said...

May I recommend- Atlanta Arms and Ammo- http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/
I get both my practice and competion ammo from them. They are quick and shipping is usually within a day.

Frank W. James said...

Good to see you at the show Tam and Roberta.

I don't know about you, but I saw no absolute bargains. Definitely a "seller's" market. Although I am pleased with my 8-3/8th Model 48.

All The Best,
Frank W. James

B Smith said...

My New Favorite Song. I'll be singing for days!!!
Thanx!

atlharp said...

9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP have been getting really scarce around here. I was lucky to grab about 800 rounds the other day from Wally World. Have fun on the search!

Anonymous said...

Last show of 2008 here in San Antonio I picked up a Springfield XD .45. And another mag for my S$W 4956. Now I am working on the ammo stores...oddly enough, Wally World's prices are often better than what I can find on the 'net.

doubletrouble said...

Worked the gun show in Manchester NH today, & I bet 40% of the attendees had never before set foot in a similar place.

I was nutz.
The entrance had a line until 1230- 3.5 hours after it opened.

Sold a lot of hardware though, 'specially that of the zombie eradication genus.

Good times, & more tomorrow!

If you don't mind, I'll be singing the song at the tables...

John B said...

The image of Tam dancing and cavorting like Julie Andrews, singing her song is not one thats going to leave for a while.

Tho' several Germans, and five Elk would tell you. That Mosin is a damned accurate tomato stake.