Sunday, May 05, 2013

Home again, home again, jiggity-jig!

While I love visiting Tennessee, I get to missing my 'hood, too. Now I'm back and facing that SoBro dilemma: Saganaki and a gyro salad at Sam's, or some wings straight out of the smoker at Fat Dan's?

Decisions, decisions...

Got around to cleaning my Ruger MkIII 22/45 while I was down there. It had been over a year since I last had it apart and it was past due for a good scrubbing. (A conservative estimate would be 5,000 rounds, but it's probably closer to 10k, if not more. I don't really keep track of the rimfire.) Chunks of stuff came out with a dental pick, and that was after five minutes in the ultrasonic tank and a good hosing with brake cleaner.
Busted!
 The firing pin return spring had lost a few coils. This was a replacement for the original which had failed in the same fashion. It did not seem to affect the operation of the gun. (The coils that broke were from the end down on the support.)

Took it to the range at Iggle Crick this morning. A lot fewer light strikes now that all the sludge is out of the works.

Still not using oil, which makes me happy.
Climbing out of Knoxville, a few miles north of the exit to Marko's old crib, the Subie passed the 200,000 mile mark.

11 comments:

USCitizen said...

You are doing photography at 70 mph? Please be careful out there.

Tam said...

Not much photography involved, actually. Resting the cellie on the steering wheel hub and clicking gives a nicely-centered shot of the IP. :)

Hank said...

Yeah, my Buckmark had a similar issue. Enough gunk built up around the firing pin that the strike was slowed. Eventually, no boom.

That area of the gun was not an area I'd normally clean, so it was a bit of a surprise.

Oh well, learn something new.

og said...

200,000- I had no idea it was that new.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Ah, wish I'd know you were going out this morning. I'd have brought the 1911 to admire Bob's handiwork. (They mailed it out Friday and I got it yesterday morning.)

Maybe next week.

Scott J said...

5-10k of .22 in a year. I'm jealous.

I doubt I shoot 1k in a year. Of course I shoot a lot more centerfire as I can load my own for between 5 and 10 cents a round or less depending on caliber.

I whish I hadn't neglected my .22 stash in the pre panic days. I only have a couple thousand rounds and I refuse to pay $40 or more a brick for it.

Stretch said...

Just replaced the firing pin spring and recoil spring on my ca. 1929 Woodsman. Amazing what a through scrub and fresh springs will do for a gun.

Aunt Ann and 3 of her 4 children had Subies. The only one NOT to reach 200K was the one a Metro bus sideswiped. Alas, they do not make them in 44 XL.

Ken said...

I know the expression predates the movie, but just the same:

"...Goooooooood evening, J.F.!"

Kristophr said...

Hank: No boom is better than the other result from a sticky firing pin: accidental full-auto.

CGHill said...

That in fourth gear? 3000 sounds like a high-ish number of revs for 70 mph.

Anonymous said...

Sorry if I missed the obvious, but when is the Zed Drei coming out of the garage? You DID buy the Subie as a 2nd car and not as a replacement, right?

-Drifter