Tuesday, November 20, 2018

"It feels good in my hand."

I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have seen someone finalize their selection at the gun counter by hefting a couple pistols and make their buying decision based on which one "felt good in their hand."

It turns out that there is near-zero correlation between a gun "feeling good in the hand" standing there unloaded at the gun counter and which gun one can shoot the best at speed on actual targets. That can only be measured on the range.
"The one that feels best in your hand at the gunshop might not feel so great after you shoot it. Your super-comfortable grip might have you interfering with controls or unable to reach things like the mag button or slide release. Obviously, the way it feels in your hand cannot tell you anything about its accuracy, reliability, or durability."
I guess it felt okay in my hand? Didn't really burn the range down with it, though.