Tuesday, July 06, 2021

How festive.

Some jackass got my debit card number (including the expiration and three digit code) and linked it to their PayPal account. 

I found this out by suddenly being on the hook for two eBay purchases totaling a bit over five hundred bucks. My bank and PayPal have both been super helpful and it looks like everything's going to get put right in a few days, hopefully, but that's five bills I really didn't have right now. Also, I had to cancel the card and now I get to go to the bank and try and get a new one.

Not how I planned to spend my Tuesday.

The dude at PayPal was super helpful and told me that the scammer had the two fraudulent purchases shipped to an Indianapolis address. That info, combined with the date of the first one (two days after I'd arrived home from NH) narrows it down to either the local pizza joint or the restaurant around the corner from my house. Neither is super palatable to think about. With the pizza joint, at least I can go to online ordering through a service like DoorDash rather than reading my card number to someone on the other end of the line.

This is only the second time this has happened to me in over a decade, but it's never fun. 


.