Wednesday, September 08, 2021

The Seven Seventeen Year Itch

Ever since it was initially customized, this Model 57 has been wearing the same uncheckered pau ferro Hogue Monogrip.


In fact, my very first interaction with Farmer Frank was him pointing out how silly it was to go through all the effort of converting a square-butt frame to a round-butt and then putting a round-to-square conversion grip on it.

It wasn't necessarily the grip of choice, it was what was in stock at our wholesaler when the revolver was completed back in 2001. It was always intended to be a placeholder until a more permanent grip could be selected; ideally a set of Eagle Secret Service stocks to match the PC13. When I got it from Marko back in 2005, getting some proper round-butt stocks was high on my list of things to do.

Seventeen years down the road, I finally got around to doing something about it...


Those are VZ Grips 320 stocks, so named because they have a matte texture similar to 320 grit sandpaper. 

They're still a placeholder. I fully intend to get those Secret Service stocks on there, someday. (I could buy the VZ's on Amazon with free Prime delivery, but Eagle Secret Service stocks have something like a 4-week wait, and I'm all about the instant gratification.) Then I'll move these VZ's over to my 3" 629, probably, since the factory round-butt combat stocks on that thing are worth nearly half what I paid for the whole gun back in 2001.  

.

No comments: