Monday, August 16, 2010

Ptingtingtingting!

I had the strangest dream last night.

I dreamed I was shooting this huge shoot-'n'-move style carbine match kind of thing, where the course was about the size of a football field and the targets were sheet metal things shaped like IPSC targets. The guns were AR carbines that shot little metal BBs full-auto, like those guns at a carnival midway where you have to shoot out the whole red star on the paper to win a kewpie doll.

And there were two of these courses set up side-by-side and you ran heads-up against somebody shooting on the other course. I was competing against SayUncle.

Okay, the guns were obviously a mishmash of that carbine video I've watched a couple times, plus the game I saw at the state fair, plus the fact that I've got an Awerbuck carbine class coming up soon, so that I've been spending a lot of time with my blue gun and my real carbine. The head-to-head courses were no doubt triggered by Top Shot, plus seeing everybody gearing up for that multigun match the weekend before last. I have no idea how SayUncle got in there, and the worst part is that even though I remember I was shooting like a house afire, I can't remember who won, dammit.

What I do remember was waking up and being disappointed because that was an awesome completely imaginary shooting game...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I obviously won. Since last time I won something, the other guy couldn't remember it either.

-SayUncle

Dave said...

Dang...I got stuck with a dream about having a rules argument in Scrabble. Can I borrow one of yours sometime?

Don said...

I think the traditional next move at this point is to launch a crusade to create the game from your vision. I suggest you call it "Rifle Racing."

Chris M said...

Did you win the doll when you went to the fair/carnival? That particular kiosk is the only reason I bother to go to the fairs anymore when they come to town. The ones here in Missouri usually offer a large stuffed animal as a prize so it's worth the two or three attempts it takes to win one. (The secret is to use three to five-round bursts to shoot out the tips of the stars and the centers then fall right out.)

Jay G said...

ChrisM,

I just use a shotgun.

Lot of yelling though...

Bill P. said...

My favorite carival shooter was in of all places Paris France, right near the Louvre. To win you shot clay birds with .22 CB long's.Not a big fan of the French but try that in NYC.

Bill P. said...

Sorry "carnival"

mikee said...

The uncertainty of outcome is the dream corollary of Schroedinger's cat problem, which acts as a mental safety circuit.

If you remembered a dream completely, something very unpleasant might have happened (ground impact at the end of the falling dream, for example); if you don't recall the end, something good might have happened, but you avoid that nasty splat in other cases. Better to avoid the bad dream than experience the good, says your brain.

Your brain takes care of you, even when you aren't awake.

Me, I spent a childhood trying to force recurrent dreams into better outcomes through choices I made while dreaming, and trying to remember just how to wave my arms so I could fly whilst conscious. I'm still working on it.

Brad K. said...

Tam,

You enjoy the shooting, not the "defeat" of the targets, nor even beating the competition.

SayUncle was there as an icon of you, doing the best you can. You are there, doing what you love - struggling to get the best out of gun and shooter.

Um, this was a good dream, just a rehashing of what you know, and reminder of what you enjoy.

Blessed be.

Drang said...

See, this is what's wrong with being a famous blogger: You get up and blog it, instead of writing it up and applying for copyright on the great new shooty sport you've developed...

Don said...

The sport of RIFLE RACING!

I can keep this up forever.