Sunday, August 08, 2010

8.08 state.

Went to the range with Shootin' Buddy at the crack of early this morning with the intention of getting carbines dialed in for the Awerbuck course later this month. Only except Wildcat Valley was hosting a multigun match and the gamers had claimed the benchrest bay.

There's still a 100 yd bench over down on the bay with the steel critters, which they weren't using, and so we hied ourselves over there, but the morning continued to be made of fail.

The AR sight adjustment tools that Shootin' Buddy bought at Knob Creek turned out to be air-soluble, having completely vanished between then and now. The Troy BUIS, while using an A1-style windage adjustment, did not want to be adjusted with the tip of an M193 cartridge. The punch on my Leatherman Juice came to the rescue for one carbine, but the detent on the other one wouldn't work with it. Result: Only one of two dialed in.

My carbine had a new-to-me Aimpoint Comp M2 on it that also needed dialing in. Of course, that's a lot easier at 25 yards than it is at a hundred. I tried to get a rough boresight by yanking the bolt carrier group and squinting through the barrel at the target while fiddling the adjustment screws, but gave it up for a bad idea. I'd planned on a trip to Coal Creek Armory before class anyway, so I reckon I'll drag the carbine along and see if I can't get it at least boresighted while I'm there.

At least we finished up okay: SB had just picked up a Yugo Czech Mauser from his 'smith, who'd fitted it with a scout scope and XS backup irons. I'm assuming he'd had something done to the trigger, too, or else that was the nicest stock military Mauser trigger I've felt. Even with the low-powered long eye-relief scope and no better point of aim than the rough center of a plain white IPSC target a hundred yards away, I easily put three rounds of factory Remington softpoint into a space covered by the palm of my hand. (Which, for an old military rifle, is not half bad. If it'll do that for a mediocre shot like me, then if someone who knew what they were doing loaded for the gun and then slung up and tried, it'd probably really shoot.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Quasi-Scout is based on a Czech Mauser. The Yugo that a client gave me is at the gunsmith being converted into a backup quasi-Scout.

Shootin' Buddy

EgregiousCharles said...

Laser boresighters are great. I've found the 'within 4" at 100 yards' claim to be accurate.

og said...

is 808 like 2x 404? Cause my ambition has been 404 all day.

Tam said...

It's been in the ATL?

og said...

Might as well have been.

Sigman said...

Lou will tell you that irons on ARs (even after markets) are famously hard to zero. In his classes, I've seen 20 clicks move the sights an inch at 25yds on 1 rifle and 4 clicks move another 4in. Zero the optic (even bore sighting if need be) and pary the irons aren't needed.

He'll also tell you getting the guns zeroed on day 1 is the hardest part of the class for him.

You'll enjoy the class, just bring a towel to cover the back of your neck (to protect against hot brass).

Jim said...

I'd really appreciate an expanded SB report on the Mauser/ Scout -- scope specs and mounting scheme, other homage the rifle pays to the sainted Col. Cooper, and field reports, of course.

Getting itchy to build one here.

Anonymous said...

Went to Troy Industries to check out their BUIS and ending up playing that damn zombie game instead! Addictive!
Best,
McVee

jimbob86 said...

".....Czech Mauser from his 'smith, who'd fitted it with a scout scope"

I am trying to find a 'smith who will put a scout mount and scope on a 7x57 '93 Mauser.... the local guys are all just telling me what THEY want to do with the gun, as opposed to how they can do what I want them to .... Hell, if'n I ran my wood floor bidnesss like that, I'd have starved a long while ago.... any sources for a mount would be appreciated....

Kristophr said...

Jimbob86:

Here ya go.

Much better than that b-square crap, IMO.

Anonymous said...

FWIW, my Aimpoint dialed right in at 50 yards. I do prefer the 50 yard zero. One thing that helps boresighting through that .22 barrel is simply finding something at distance that you can see - I like fence posts. Just go back and forth between vertical posts and horizontal posts till your set. I also find that leaving the front lens cover on can help, depending on your eyes.

Al T.

Anonymous said...

Tam; If your iron sights are dialed in, and you have the Aimpoint set up to co witness, just sight down the irons and adjust the red dot to sit atop the front post. That's as good or better than any boresighting.
("UP" equals the dot lowering, "Left" equals the dot moving to the right, etc.) - Lyle