Sunday, April 20, 2014

Days don't get much better than this.

Absolutely Chamber of Commerce weather out there; you couldn't order a nicer day from a catalog. Shootin' Buddy was in the neighborhood, and so we made the most of it:
Brunch at Cafe Patachou at 49th & Penn. I had the Julia omelet, which is Smoking Goose jowl bacon & Swiss, and I slathered it with a healthy dollop of Sriracha.
We sat on the patio, which hosted a crowd that looked like the cover of SWPL Quarterly. Shootin' Buddy got docked points for not wearing his aviators ironically.

...and then to the range.

Need a hat cam. I was doing quite nicely on the new(ish) steel at MCF&G shooting both hands, but the camera was too much of a distraction from a good sight picture for SHO shooting. While I still managed to bat .700 with the 22/45, I set the camera down after just the two shots with the Glock. To borrow Tuco's advice, "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't shoot."

Shootin' Buddy brought classier range toys. A Model 17 and a Model 18.

After the range, a stop at Moe & Johnny's in SoBro on the way home for a pint of Three Floyds Zombie Dust.
The only thing that could make this day any better would be a hammock in the back yard.
.

16 comments:

Crotalus said...

Didn't Tuco say, "When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't TALK!"?

Keads said...

Looks like a great day indeed!

Tam said...

Crotalus,

See, I was making a funny about the same verb being used for firing a gun and filming with a video camera. Aha-ha... ha...

:|

Anonymous said...

Should have smiled. I cannot pull off the hipster grimace.

Shootin' Buddy

T.Stahl said...

I got Tam's joke.
But then, I'm an Aspie.

Old NFO said...

Sounds like a great day!

Drang said...

SB: When I try to smile, it looks like I took lessons from Wednesday Addams...
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/2014/03/julie-golob-and-sumdood.html
Seriously, when we went on the cruise with my parents and my father saw the results of the boat's photographers' attempts at making me look good, my father suggested I practice smiling...

Anonymous said...

My day involved some good local craft brew from Bad Wolf Brewery (petite saison), the "hammock in the backyard" your day lacked, and the latest copy of Field and Stream.

I started the day with some gnarly mountain biking and playing with the kids, so it wasn't all lounging around. :)

Chris

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Clearly I need to give you my phone number. :)

JohninMd.(too late?!??) said...

A bad day at the range beats a good day workin'. Just sayin'.....

Cincinnatus said...

Looks like a great day.

Skip said...

Good on you!
Four rounds of trap this morning (97)
Lunch, nap, wash off the patio, watch the Giants pull one out of their ass, throw some seeds out for the song birds, kiss my bride again, Q a nice din-din.
Here we are ready for the rack. Happy Easter.

Weer'd Beard said...

OK, my S&W foo is weak. I'm very familiar with the Model 17 (and Am I correct that the M17 is a K-frame while the 617 is certainly an L-frame)

but what is the M18 and how does it differ?

I did the standard glance at the sights to see if one had adjustable and the other fixed, but that isn't the case...

Goober said...

I chased my three year old daughter around the yard while she squealed and squeeked in delight finding easter eggs. Her Easter dress was stupid cute.

Between the 3 grandmas and my wife there were 56 eggs total. Kid is spoiled.

Mike_C said...

@DW: You are not alone. I claim psychological trauma* from years of being told "let's see your teeth" by all manner of schlock photographers, family and otherwise, for whom a dignified close-lipped smile is not enough. As if I were a horse they were contemplating purchasing against veterinary advice. (To steal Lois Bujold's memorable phrase.)

*Nah. Not really.

Nor are pretty girls necessarily exempt. Poor Hannelore. Oh, the horror!!

Matthew said...

Hang out right or not at all...

"She lectured me on my self-destructive tendencies
She asked me why I wasn't more uptight
It gave her such a fright to meet a guy
who didn't seem to know how to hang out right..."