Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Continuing Education

When I bought my first Glock, a Model 23, back in the mists of 1994, it was a very big deal that it Had No Manual Safety. Never mind that the Ruger KP-91DAO that I traded in on it had no manual safety, either, somehow the Glock was different.

I was very cautious in handling it, treating it as gingerly as one would a live and slightly annoyed rattlesnake for the first couple weeks, and I picked up a gun-handling tic I have to this day: Unless I was actually pulling the trigger, I'd hold my trigger finger canted out away from the gun at about a 45° angle, as though it were afraid to get too near the loud lever.

In a general sense, this is a good thing, as we don't want the trigger finger up inside the trigger guard when it shouldn't be. However it's not really that ideal because there's no feedback to let my finger know it's in the right spot, since it's just hovering in air, and there's also nothing to get in the way of it straying toward the trigger should my fist close in a spasm.

The Good Samaritan that busted a cap in a carjacker down in Smyrna, Georgia showed us how it was done the other day:
Look at that trigger finger! See how the tip of it is pressed into the ejection port of the pistol? That is a textbook hard register. Homie is doing just like he did in batting practice on Game Day, which is just outstanding.

I am working on retraining my trigger finger out of its dumb habit and into a hard register now. Never too late to learn, I reckon.
.