Friday, April 24, 2015

The downside...

...of flying through certain airports as a firearm owner is what might happen if something goes wrong.

Simply changing planes in Logan or LaGuardia with guns in your checked baggage is, technically, not a big deal. The problems with the law arise if problems arise with the plane.

Just before I was scheduled to set out from Castle Frostbite to the airport for my flight home on Wednesday, I was talking with Robin about the potential mishaps that could happen when there came an "Uh oh..." from Marko's office in the back of the house.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"There's some problem with your connecting flight in Newark; they want you to overnight there and they'll put you on a plane to Indy in the morning," he explained.

"Dude, that's not funny."

"I know!"

It took me a second to realize he was serious. I thought for a second he'd heard Robin and I talking and was yanking my chain; the timing could not have been more coincidental.

Fortunately, Marko was able to get in touch with the airline people and move my whole flight schedule back a day. This averted the scenario of winding up on the wrong side of the security checkpoint in EWR, watching my big Pelican 1700 chock full of New Jersey v. Keel circling the conveyor, while wondering how to get out of this mess in a fashion that didn't involve jail or losing several thousand dollars in firearms and accessories.
.