Saturday, November 21, 2020

Yesterday was a good day...

 ...and I didn't have to use my AK. Which is a good thing, because I don't have an AK. Leave the peasant conscript rifles for the peasants, I say. (Just kidding. Save the hate mail.)

Anyway, Thursday and Friday were unseasonably warm for mid-November here in Indy, but the weather was supposed to revert to type for the weekend, so I wanted to get in some outdoor dining while the getting was good.

Thursday was almost a scrub because, despite the thermometer briefly reaching a freakishly balmy 68°F, the winds were blowing steadily from the southwest at 30-50mph. And when I say "steadily", I mean the wind blew like that All. Day. Long. I found a table on the sidewalk in front of Fat Dan's that was out of the wind and had a Peyton's Supa-Dupa Grilled Cheezy (brie, provolone, American, cheddar, & tomato on multigrain).

Friday, however, dawned tranquil and promised to be nearly as warm...for the relative values of "warm" that I use from November through March now.

Tranquil Friday morning skies
So Friday I decided to check out a newer addition to the neighborhood dining scene. The Patachou empire had launched a Southern fried chicken joint just across the street from their mothership at 49th & Penn, but sadly it did not catch on. (I say "sadly" because the couple times I ate at Crispy Bird, the chow was superlative.)

Anyway, in the spirit of 2020, the new restaurant in the same building is called "Apocalypse Burger".


I ordered a Smashpocalypse Burger, described on the menu as "double smash, Manchego cheese, white bbq, lettuce, pickles".


They do the thinner smashed style patties on a griddle, so a double is not an impossible challenge for those who can't unhinge their lower jaw like a ball python. Nice crusty patties and still plenty juicy, and the mysterious white BBQ sauce complemented the Manchego nicely. The skinny fries are sliced right there in-house and were delicious.

Two thumbs up and Apocalypse Burger will continue to be a regular stop for me. I hope they survive the apocalypse.
.