Wednesday, August 17, 2022

On newsstands...

The latest issue of RECOIL's CONCEALMENT magazine (issue #28) has a couple things in it from me. There's a piece on the practicalities of using .22LR for CCW, and a special advertising section on the new FN 509 Midsize Tactical for which I wrote the copy.

Normally I'd balk at writing what is essentially article-length ad copy, but I actually like the 509 series, so...

Photographed at the launch event in Georgia this past March, with the Olympus E-3 & Zuiko 14-35mm f/2

Fortunately my beefs are minor, mostly involving my preference for tabbed trigger safeties rather than hinged triggers, and the fact that the aftermarket is kinda soft for the 509 (but that latter one's out of FN's hands, so it's not their fault.) 

The hardest parts about writing a Special Advertising Section as opposed to a review were:
  • Not referencing other manufacturers. "The Midsize is basically the 509 flavor of the G19", and...

  • Not giving my overall opinion of this type of pistol in general, which is that the differences between most of the big brands are so minor that choosing between them is going to come down to personal preference on aesthetics or small ergonomic details, and how much work one is willing to put in finding holsters.


.