Sunday, May 30, 2010

Downsides.

There are distinct downsides to living in Broad Ripple, seeing as how it is the part of Indy where Seth & Jared and Tiffani & Amber all come to get their Public Intox, OWI, and Minor In A Tavern on.

For instance, when you realize that your genius planning has left you bereft of soft drinks at, say, 0430 on a Sunday, thereby forcing you to drive to the store for more fizzy caffeine, you hop in your car and drive down College Avenue...

...but very carefully, because College Avenue between 52nd and Broad Ripple Avenue is a veritable MiG Alley at 0430 on a Sunday, and doubly so on the Sunday of the Big Race. Half the cars on the street are cops. The other half are stopped in the headlights of the cop car, with their occupants yakking on their shoes preparatory to being cuffed and stuffed. It's quite the show...

6 comments:

Shermlock Shomes said...

I'm now left wondering if you were still up at 4:30 AM on a Sunday or had just gotten up? You know that the answer to this question is age-related. . . ;)

Tam said...

Hint: The starship takes off early on this particular Sunday. ;)

Anonymous said...

Still up? Maybe when I was in my 20's.
That's WHEN I get up now.

Gmac

paulcr39 said...

So nothing has changed since my last Indy 500 in 1982....

Joanna said...

I-465 between Rockville Road and Keystone at that time wasn't much better. Between the bumper-raping PT Cruiser and the minivan who couldn't pick a lane if you held a gun to his head, it was an eventful trip. At least it wasn't raining.

Seriously, the PT came up behind me and I actually shouted "JESUS CHRIST" before she ducked around and got behind the next poor sap. Wasn't anything vain about that name-taking, let me tell you ...

Joanna said...

Wait, I meant 4:30 p.m. Didn't catch the "in the morning" part of the original post. But I think my point still stands.