Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Off The Shelf:

Re-reading The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy.

I'd forgotten what a useful book this is. I mean, it's an easy read, especially for covering a topic that could otherwise be an unholy union of statistics tables with kings'n'dates'n'battles, but it's also full of little factoids that can be useful when somebody pipes up with examples of gun control from Japan or the UK or even Switzerland. There's even a Kindle edition now, which I am considering buying just so I can have a copy handy, just in case.

7 comments:

Steve Skubinna said...

First time I've heard of this book, thank you.

The two "official" reviews are illuminating. Both acknowledge Kopel's scholarship but reject his conclusions. Typical - when facts and logic don't support a progressive's belief, the facts and logic are wrong. And likely racist as well.

Boat Guy said...

My ONLY gripe with this book (I REALLY appreciate Kopels' works) is the subtitle citing "...other Democracies". Certainly someone as learned as Dave Kopel should make the distinction between our Republic and the "democracies". Interesting to note that the Swiss Cantonal system isn't exactly what most people think is a "democracy" either.

BobG said...

I remember reading it when it first came out and wondering why more people weren't acquainted with it.

Rob Reed said...

You know, that's been on my "to read" list for years, and I still haven't read it. It's probably the only major, oft cited, book on gun control I haven't read.

I'll have to hunt up a copy.

Rob (Trebor)

Boat Guy said...

My "go to" reference has always been Stephen Halbrook's "That Every Man Be Armed"

Tam said...

Boat Guy,

Got that one, too. Great book; covers different topics, though.

davidc said...

I've got a copy around here somewhere, should read it again !