Monday, September 08, 2014

Gratuitous Gun Pr0n #108...

.44 Very Special
.44 Special day at the range. The 4" Model 21-4 Thunder Ranch Special on the right is pretty light in weight for a carbon steel N-frame, with its tapered barrel and round butt; it weighs 38.3 ounces on my postal scale and you could fire it all day with reasonable loads.

The 2½" Model 296Ti AirLite Centennial on the left weighs 18.5 ounces on the same scale, with its aluminum alloy humpback L-frame and 5-shot titanium cylinder. After thirty rounds through it, resting my elbows on the table to make doubly sure I didn't shoot the chronograph, I was well into the "not having fun anymore" portion of the festivities. It's been a year and more since I fired the thing and I'd plumb forgot how zippy it was. It was, as the gun magazines say, "brisk but manageable", which is Latin for "there may be bruises tomorrow".

Chrono data to follow.
.