Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Testing, testing, is this thing on?

The initial 100 rounds through the FNX-45 Tactical revealed a problem...



When I was holding the gun loosely, concentrating on sight picture and trigger press trying to get small groups (the old target shooter "hold it as one would hold a live bird") it would get a failure to eject on the second- or third-to-last round in the mag almost on command.

To be fair, I didn't give the gun a thorough scrubbing before the start, but I don't think it was dirty enough to cause this. This is the result of a heavy recoil spring combined with a fairly heavy reciprocating slide and not a lot of mass in the frame and mag, and a loose grip. A classic "limp wrist" FTE.

I want to sort this out, just in case something's not square, since it wouldn't be a fair test of the FNX. The gun shouldn't be that easy to induce FTE's in.

Well, I was sitting on all this PMC .45 ACP from Lucky Gunner, and the internet wants a show, so instead of the FNX, let's go with the one gun everybody knows won't go 2,000 rounds without cleaning...

I couldn't give it a real cleaning, but I pulled the slide off and scrubbed the rails and feed ramp with a toothbrush, lubed it up with Slip 2000 EWL, and busted out the ammo...

100 rounds down, no malfunctions to report, 1,900 to go...
.