Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Down the Well

While I was at Raven Concealment's booth at the NRAAM, Michael Goerlich pressed a ziploc bag with one of RCS's newer offerings into my hands with a "Here, try this." Well, okay. I'm game to try new stuff, and in this case I already had the perfect host gun in mind...

I popped the Pearce grip plug out of Project Whimsy and prepared to attach the Freya mag well...

Because I am not dumb, I read the included instructions carefully. (It was only, like, eight paragraphs, dude. It's not like it was Dostoevsky or anything.)

Like the ad copy says, there's enough clearance to get some purchase on the flooplate and rip out a stuck mag. Not a terribly common occurrence with double-column/single-feed mag guns with external extractors, but there you go...

It doesn't add a ton to the size of the gun. Its effect on concealment would depend on where you were carrying it and which gun you had it on. I think it could be a serious help on a G19-size gun for people with wide hands, but I don't know...

Some people decry this as "gamer", but in most games this modification would push your Glock into a class where you were competing against hot-rodded $3k custom 2011s. I do know one game where it might prove useful for me, though, and that's at local bowling pin matches....

Now, seeing as how the Glock is already a gun with a cavernous magwell and a tapered magazine, the real effect on reload times is going to have to await me getting some time in with my ShotMaxx...
.