Monday, August 30, 2021

It was a simpler, if dimmer, time...

This time in 2005 I was very excited about upgrading the flashlight in my pocket from a Surefire G2 Nitrolon to a Z2 CombatLight with 65 eyeball-melting incandescent lumens.

The first thing I did was buy a GG&G TID (Tactical Impact Device) for it because of course I did. Who wouldn't want a fanged ninja flashlight o' doom? Even if it did sometimes poke me in the leg uncomfortably and chew holes in jeans pockets... Derpeste.

GG&G TID on Surefire Z2S, like it's 2009 up in here or something.

About six years later I upgraded from the incandescent Z2 to the Z2S, which had a 160-lumen LCD, partly because I could move that silly TID over to it. It's still on there, too, even though the ten-year-old Z2S now just sits on the book shelves next to the front door in case a pajama-clad resident of Roseholme Cottage needs a handy light to grab and take out on the porch.

I still have the original incandescent Z2, too. It sits in the door pocket on the passenger side of the Zed Drei. I had occasion to pull it out and use it recently, and the old 65-lumen xenon bulb feels almost quaint these days. I've gotten so accustomed to the current higher output LED's, like the EDCL-2T I've been carrying for the last four years or so, and even that 1200-lumen light is hardly state of the art anymore. 

(Although I've yet to feel the need to upgrade. Looking back, it seems like about 5-6 years is a pretty typical run for a flashlight for me. The E2D probably had the shortest, from '15-'17.)


.