Sunday, September 04, 2022

Shelf life...



One thing that really dings the utility of an occasional-use camera for me is how long the battery will hold a charge while the camera sits unused. I've had a couple of really nice little Samsung pocket cams that took great photos and had all the features I want in a compact (full PASM mode selection and being able to shoot RAW), but the batteries would drain over the course of sitting a week or two unused. It's a problem with the little Pentax Q mirrorless series, too.

On the other hand, the other day I picked up the Nikon Coolpix S6500 that I'd bought way back in 2014. I can't remember the last time I'd had it out or charged the battery, but it has to have been more than a year. When the power button was poked, it made its little chime noise and extruded the lens and the battery indicator on the LCD screen still showed a full charge, or close enough to full, anyway.

I threw it in the document pocket of my gun burkha and took it along to lunch on a whim...

.