Monday, March 11, 2024

A bustle in your hedgerow

There's a house in the neighborhood that has its sidewalk flanked by a couple tall stands of some sort of ornamental tallgrass.

As I strolled past yesterday on the way to lunch, there was an explosive rustling noise and I turned to my right to catch sight of an Eastern cottontail doe. She froze in the yard and I looked away and got the camera up in front of my face before turning back toward her.


Exploiting the old trick that little animals get panicked by two forward-facing predator eyes pointing at them but are a whole lot less sure what to make of a camera, I was able to take three slow, sidling steps in her direction while snapping away before she lost her composure and bolted away.


Snapped with the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV and EF 70-200mm f/4L IS combo, which is a fave setup of mine for critter pics.

.

No comments: