Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Every Picture Tells a Story

Look, I don't have much of a hard time believing that some percentage of stolen or illicitly purchased handguns in the US are finding their way to Haiti, but something like ninety percent of the long guns I'm seeing in photos there are your typical run-of-the-mill Third World Kalashnikov variants.

Which made the photo here interesting:


I'd bet lunch money that that's a picture of the BBC photo stringer's hired private security contractor. I'll bet it got wired to London in a big batch of photos from the current unpleasantness and someone in editorial or the design department (I don't know the exact online workflow at the Beeb, sorry) thought "Ooh! This one looks dramatic!" without understanding what they were looking at, and used it.

.