Sunday, April 23, 2006

Blog Stuff: Random notes from a day off.

Friday started off grim: Peeing down rain, and stuff to take care of at work before I could go enjoy my day off. I helped Marko pick out a No.1 Mk.III from our selection (he got a 1933 BSA), and took care of some dull scut work around the shop.

I escaped, and dragged my book to lunch. Having just scored a 1916 Enfield myself, I was re-reading the section of Keegan's The Face Of Battle dealing with the battle of the Somme over a delicious filet with a double side of asparagus spears at the Chop House, but kept getting distracted by the power lunch going on at the table across from me. A man and a woman were having a business lunch, acompanied by a conversation spoken (loudly, on his part) solely in managerial buzzwordese. If I heard the word "proactive" one more time before the check came, I'd have probably lost it. When CCA is a globe-spanning empire, and I've sweated my way up to Junior Vice President of Ashtray Placement or whatever, please, shoot me if I start talking like that.

I swung by Leaf & Ale on the way home to expand my beer horizons, and can add Avery India Pale Ale to Bridgeport IPA on the generally approved list. I still prefer The Shipyard Fuggles IPA to either, though; I may have a new reference beer, there. (The reference beer is your baseline to which you compare other beers, as in "Well, this is almost as good as..." or "Hey! This is even better than...")

I got home to find that Amazon had dropped off my order: Boston T. Party's novel Molon Labe!, and the album Nouvelle Vague (thanks, Phlegmmy!) The sun came out long enough to let me enjoy a pretty sunset with a book in one hand, a smoke in the other, and a beer on the little cafe table on my porch, but then Mother Nature welshed, and ended my day off like she started it, by dumping a skyful of water on my noggin.

10 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Glad you got Nouvelle Vague - I hope you're enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've got a 1916 Enfield myself! With a bantam length stock no less.You need a copy of Stratton's British Enfield Rifles Volume 1, SMLE (No.1) Rifles MkI and MkIII...

Tam said...

phlegmfatale: I love it! Doubleplusgood music for languid cruising about with the top down on a warm evening! :)

rayman: As long as they're using new-manufactured receivers. Original Lee-Enfield receivers aren't up to .308 pressures. (The Ishapore .308's are purpose-built on receivers made from higher-grade EN steel.)

phlegmfatale said...

Good - it's a groove on post-punk classics with a kickassedly girly edge. I laugh out loud every time I hear "Too Drunk To..."

Oh, and loud inane conversations at restaurants - maddening. You are seated with your book, and then the guy at the next table starts talking shop loudly on his cell phone - unconscionable!

theirritablearchitect said...

Tam,

I enjoyed Molon Labe!, but it was lacking a bit of denouement compared to, say, Unintended Consequences or Enemies, Foreign and Domestic. It was entirely worth the read, and short too.

Matthew Bracken's second part of the EF&D trilogy is due in a month or two, and is my personal favorite of this genre. Can't wait.

I feel rather silly making suggestions to you, as I'm sure you've read these titles, however, if you havn't, I recommend them without reserve.

Anonymous said...

The BridgePort IPA made it here a couple months ago. It's a winner in my book.

Never had anything bad from Avery although I've not had their IPA yet. Hopefully Shipyard makes out this way some day.

Anonymous said...

Well, the Enfield L8s in .308 are converted from No.4s...

AFAIK the AIA M10-A1 is the 7.62x39 version with a layout similar to the No.5 jungle carbine. The No.4Mk4 is the one that the .308 equivalent of the old No.4 (or L8). They accept AK and M14 mags respectively. In a test in a German gun magazine the No.4Mk4 showed sub-MOA accuracy with factory and hand-loads. If I didn't have a few rifles already, a No.4Mk4 would be the ONE I'd want. :-)

T.Stahl

Anonymous said...

I recently discovered Bridgeport IPA myself and can attest to its excellence. Redhook IPA is my reference point. This evening I discovered Blackhawk Stout, which I enjoyed in honor of my Flattop .357 Blackhawk (a real one, not a remake).

Tracy

Tam said...

"Love the photo of you with the K98! What blade is clipped in your pocket?"

That's actually an Eddystone Arsenal M1917. :)

The knife is a Ken Onion custom, with a Random Task blade and koa wood scales.

"Well, the Enfield L8s in .308 are converted from No.4s..."

I'd hope they were built on Ishie .308 recievers, otherwise I'd keep a close eye on headspace and avoid heavy loads...

Anonymous said...

"I'd hope they were built on Ishie .308 recievers,..."

I don't remember. I'll check.
Anyways, they were sold out years ago.

T.Stahl