Sunday, April 30, 2006

Woo Hoo! I'm not a pistolsmith, but I play one on the Int3rw3b!

Using the handy-dandy detail strip instructions found at M1911.org, plus recollecting my walk-throughs from Bob and Shannon at work, I have successfully replaced the trigger in my Delta Elite with a spare STI unit I had lying around and it all went back together and everything works all normal and stuff and I still have all my fingers and no leftover gun parts! W00t!.

This may not sound like much to some of y'all more mechanically talented types, but little things like this compare to an assault on the North Face of The Eiger for ten-thumbed l'il ol' me.

Woo hoo! W00t! Wheee! :)

(This is about the only kind of pistol I've ever owned with which I'd attempt this; everything seems so simple inside, and there are no itty-bitty springs for me to send flying. :-o )

6 comments:

Xavier said...

Tam, I am so proud of you! Next thing we know you will be fitting barrels and slides and rolling your own 1911!

Anonymous said...

What you mean you didn't launch the safety plunger spring?

You're doing better than me.. I should work for NASA I've launched so many parts into orbit. :)

Tam said...

"Next thing we know you will be fitting barrels and slides and rolling your own 1911!"

Okay, now, let's not talk crazy talk; I'm pretty sure there are... *gulp!* ...tools involved there.


"What you mean you didn't launch the safety plunger spring?"

No, I cleverly left that in the pistol, so as not to put out one of my eyes. :)

NotClauswitz said...

I replaced the trigger spring in my National Postal Meter... The sear-spring and other stuff was too tiny.

Anonymous said...

First time reassembling a 1911: Launched the recoil spring plug and managed to hit and fatally wound a coffee cup sitting on the table.

Second try: Launched the recoil spring plug straight up and NAILED my jaw, with a red mark that didn't go away for a week.

Put the parts in a box and didn't look at it for a week.

3rd try: It fell together like JMB intended.

From that moment on, I was a Certified Pistolsmythe (tm).

jangzr!

phlegmfatale said...

So, you're not only lovely, brainy and deadly, you're also as handy as a handle on a pig. I knew you could do it!